Saturday, November 7, 2009

Sunday, November 1st

Saturday night, I received a phone call from my senior pastor. She is sick and I have to preach. Not a huge problem in and of itself, but this was a special service Sunday. We had added all kinds of different pieces to make it a very memorable All Saints Service. On top of all that, I had forgotten that I was filling in for the Children's Sermon too.

First service starts and the "stinking" sound system is down again. Thank all the Saints who were looking out for me, it was fixed before I had to preach very much of my sermon.

After that inauspicious start, the rest of the day went extremely well. Lots of people loved the service and I was glad that I was able to pull it off without any major stumbles.

The next day was our "Staff Retreat". It was led by a psychologist that specializes in relationships. It will be interesting to see if it has any effect. Unfortunately many of those involved "like the way I am", which is code for, they have no intention of changing. Kind of sad when you think about it.

1 comment:

Brian Vinson said...

We had sound system issues on Sunday, too. Ours was that my microphone was shorting out. Bad news for a pastor who doesn't stand in the pulpit... But I realized I wasn't coming through and stood behind the pulpit until they fixed things.

As for the staff retreat - I wonder what kind of safe place has been created already for the staff. As a staff, we pray together every week, sharing all kinds of stuff. We are working together to move toward sanctification, and it is the best environment I've ever worked in.