Monday, February 18, 2008

Finger's Crossed

One of the Conferences that I applied to began Cabinet meetings today. One of the DS contacted me for my resume, and other personal information so that he could take it in with him to present to the Cabinet. He said that I should know something before the end of the month. Of course, I am sitting by the phone with baited breath this morning like an idiot. I know that they could not possibly make a decision this fast. Luckily, I have appointments all day tomorrow so I will be out. I will admit that I have my sermon for next Sunday drafted and my bulletin already finished, so it wasn't wasted time. Butterflies are having a field day in my tummy, though.

On top of that, the BISHOP of that same conference contacted me last night and wanted to make sure that he had my resume prior to this morning, just in case his DS had not contacted me. My experience with Bishops has not been extensive but I am impressed that he contacted me to follow-up.

It sounds so very promising. I am so very excited. I am trying not to get my hopes up but it is hard.

My current DS has said that he has an appointment for me if none of the conference transfers can come through this year. He won't tell me where yet but he promised me an appointment. So I will have a position come June and won't be living on the street.

This whole experience has openned my eyes to the somewhat precarious position that we place ourselves in this ministry business. I will buy an acre of land in the future to put a house or camper or tent for future security.

I forced myself to behave in an optimistic manner this week-end by attending UMCOR Emergency Responder Training for Disaster Relief. I have done several rebuilding trips and one Emergency Response Trip.

I was in Louisiana doing Katrina clean-up when Hurricane Rita hit. So I got to personally witness the devastation of a hurricane before anything has been cleaned up at all. We actually beat FEMA and the military into SE Texas and started rendering emergency aid to the victims.

Now I am certified to do that very same thing with an "Official" badge and everything. It makes me laugh because when the people needed water to drink and food to eat, never once did they ask to see my official badge.

It was hard to force myself to get out of bed and go to the training. I was feeling depressed, self-pitying, and had a bad case of "Who Cares?". Why should I train to help a Conference that doesn't seem to want me?? Then I got my act together and realized I was not doing this for any conference or church but for God.

Things are looking up and I thank all of you who called me and lifted me up in prayers. I promise not to be such a downer if this conference transfer doesn't turn out positively, but I appreciate all of your support.

3 comments:

more cows than people said...

praying for you, pulling for you, hoping for you...

and i'm so glad to hear that you have an appointment no matter what.

things are looking up.

phew.

(((revdulce)))

mid-life rookie said...

Glad you are encouraged more than you are discouraged for now. You left a note on my blog. I have been disappointed, but not discouraged. I have heard nothing from my DS in 10 days and the cabinet met for 2 days last week. Things are stirring anyway. Can't say more.

DogBlogger said...

(((RevDulce)))

Glad you're feeling encouraged. The developements do sound encouraging indeed.