Monday, November 26, 2007

Advent or Christmas Music

There is a huge debate among the Order of Saint Luke about using Christmas Carols during the season of Advent. Most believe that it is wrong to co-mingle the two. I have always allowed the church to have Christmas carols during the Advent season. My mentor has a saying, "Is this a ditch that you are willing to die in?"

I went to the mat's when it came to remodeling the sanctuary. Took several punches over the evangelism events of last month. So I'm willing to "fight the good fight", but this doesn't seem like something that is worth the fight. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture, maybe my theology isn't strong on this point, but this is a season of joy and celebration with enough stress to go around. So we will be singing Christmas carols at my church. What about you?

___________________

On another subject: My daughter made it back from Oklahoma safely. Hugh sigh of relief. What was I thinking letting her travel to a different state on such a dangerous week-end? I must have been out of my mind!

The eye doctor's are still working on my prescription. They have it much better but I might have to switch doctor's because she is convinced that I need bi-focals and keeps saying that is why everything is fuzzy. I told her that I could read just fine with my old glasses and it is obviously the prescription. I hate it when they are stubborn. Plus, I hate that it is over on hour away.

3 comments:

Brian Vinson said...

We will be singing Christmas carols during Advent. There just aren't enough good, singable Advent songs in the hymnal and there are so many great, favorite Christmas carols...

...I would only pick about 4-5 of the Advent songs, and there are 4 weeks of them?

...and how many Christmas carols that the congregations love and expect (and how many of them can we really squeeze into one or two services?).

What is the Order trying to enforce with their Pharisaic "no Christmas carols in Advent" rule, anyway?

Rev.Dulce said...

Oh the Order is not trying to enforce a "no Christmas Carol in Advent Rule". However, there are some that are a little more persnickety than others.

However, today I went through the hymnal and found only a couple of Advent songs that my congregation knows and even more importantly, my piantist can play.

We are going with the Christmas carols. Glad to see that I'm not the only one out there.

mid-life rookie said...

Hate to tell you this, but if your distance prescription got stronger and your age got older, chances are you need clear on the bottom bifocals to read. It's not your close vision that's the problem, it's correcting for your distance. At least that's what my case is. Unfortunately, I have astigmatism, and while they have bifocal contacts and astigmatism contacts they don't have anything that will do both yet. Hence, glasses for the last 4 years.