Saturday, August 11, 2007

Karate

Just spent six hours sitting in bleachers, watching my child compete and a Karate competition. She did great but didn't win. She lost by one point. Took a kick right to the chest. Ouch!! This was a much bigger competition than we had counted on. People were there from around the state. I was proud of her especially since this was her very first competition. I was really glad that they didn't give out trophies to everyone, well at least to the kid's over the age of 11. You can't win at everything, every single time.

Finished a book I got for my birthday, "The Know-It-All" by A.J. Jacobs. It was a very funny, true story about a guy who goes on a one year quest to read the entire encyclopedia. I have a couple of interesting entries for you:

1. Hollywood: This was founded by a man named Horace Wilcox, "a prohibitionist who envisioned it a community based on his sober religious principles." Hmmm, didn't work out too well for him.

2. Las Vegas: "Mormons were the first settlers. Not sure Joseph Smith would approve of today's topless showgirls and liquor. Though He would like the volcano at the Mirage. Everybody likes the volcano."

My thought for the day comes from the same book -- Horace Mann, "Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."

GOOD NEWS!!! Got my letter of acceptance for my D.Min. Program today. So I guess I will start reading my second book. Thank goodness, that's all that has arrived, because I read a fiction novel set in the time period of the Thirty-War's and all of the upheaval in Germany and Holland. And the heroine died!!! So did the hero! I couldn't believe it. It really bummed me out. I read fiction for escape not being bummed out.

Rys has left to babysit again so I'm sitting home alone. It would really bother me except for the fact that after sitting for six hours surrounded by 100's of people it is really nice.

1 comment:

A.J. Jacobs said...

Hi Rev Dulce,
Thanks for reading and commenting on my book! Very flattering. I'm glad you like that Horace Mann quote.

I have a new book coming out in October that I think might be of special interest to you, since it's about religion and the Bible.
It's called THE YEAR OF LIVING BIBLICALLY.

If you're interested, check out my website ajjacobs.com and send me an email and I'll get you an advance copy.

AJ