Thursday, August 23, 2007

New Hair Color

So lately I've noticed that I am getting gray hair, not a surprise I suppose I did just turn 43. I probably have been getting gray hair since I was 25 but I haven't seen my natural hair color since 16. So today I put blond streaks in it, I let munchkin help. Maybe not the best idea because I have some serious Blonde streaks now. But you really don't notice the gray at all :)

I've been reading over some of my previous posts and realized that it really doesn't look as if I do any ministry at all. Things haven't been that great at the church ever since I moved some pews around. But now that we have totally renovated the sanctuary I'm hoping that things will get back to normal. So anyway, when I blog I really haven't been talking alot about my ministry. I really do keep busy but now I have a way to let off some steam.

I have been doing my D.Min. reading and right now I am reading "Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation" by Robert Mulholland. I a up to the classic spiritual disciplines. Of course, I studied all of these in my wonderful Spiritual Formation class at Perkins. I am a member of the Order of Saint Luke so praying the Daily Offices helps keep me focused (most of the time).

He does have this great paragraph - talking about us doing a spiritual discipline for a while and then stopping - kind of like yo-yo dieting (something that I am very familiar with). "This is not a spiritual discipline. If you have had that roller coaster experience - trying to maintain the discipline, falling off, starting it again and falling off, starting it again and falling off - it may be because you've not been offering God a genuine discipline. You may have been trying a do-it-yourself operation, a form of works righteousness."

As an experienced you-yo dieter, all I can say is "OUCH".

No comments: