Friday, October 26, 2007

Friday Five







My decorations are pretty lame this year.



1. How did you celebrate this time of year when you were a child?

We always dressed up but it was always a huge costume that allowed all of the coats to be wore underneath the costume.

2. Do you and/or your family “celebrate” Halloween? Why or why not? And if you do, has it changed from what you used to do?

We did but the child is too old to actually Trick-or-Treat so this year she is doing the UNICEF Trick or Treating. I thought it was a neat idea. My cousin goes all out, so tomorrow we are having a huge birthday part that is Halloween themed.

2. Candy apples: Do you prefer red cinnamon or caramel covered? Or something else?

Caramel

3. Pumpkins: Do you make Jack O’ Lanterns? Any ideas of what else to do with them?

We have to paint them here. We tried to carve them but the heat and humidity cause them to melt into a pile of goo.

After the holidays, we feed them to the horse that lives next to us. They love pumpkins (and sweet potatoes)

4. Do you decorate your home for fall or Halloween? If so, what do you do? Bonus points for pictures.
See lame picture above. That is the extent of our decorations this year, so far. It has been so hectic plus, I'm a bit of a coward. We used to go all out. The yard, the outside of the house, the inside of the house. My storage box for my Halloween decorations used to be bigger than the Christmas box. When I was appointed here, the powers that controlled the church let it be known that Halloween was satanic. I didn't agree but it was politically expedient to cut back on the decorations.

5. Do you like pretending to be something different? Does a costume bring our an alternate personality?

Nope.....My alternate personality comes out at different times of the year. Although......I have a blonde wig.


Bonus: Share your favorite recipe for an autumn food, particularly apple or pumpkin ones.
We tried to make Barbara Kingsolver's Pumpkin Soup. It was okay. Eating it in the pumpkin was cool but we really liked the soup before it ever went into the pumpkin.

My favorite thing to eat this time of year is Pumpkin pie.

1 comment:

DogBlogger said...

Good play!

I've seen plenty of painted-not-carved pumpkins, but I never thought of actually having to paint them because of the climate...