Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Tornado Watch

We are currently under a tornado watch. And being the OCD kind of person that I am, I always turn off the computer and unplug it from the wall. Yes, Yes, I have surge protectors but I absolutely hate the idea of frying my computer. So I won't be able to read your comments about my sermon, but I am dying to know what you all think.

I spent a couple of hours reading A.J. Jacobs new book "The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible". I was laughing so hysterically that Lucien started howling, I think he thought I was being attacked. I think that any pastor who is interested in reaching secular, unchurched people should read this book. It really gives a different perspective on religion. Plus, his account of being locked in the bathroom was hilarious. I ran to check if I could escape from mine and decided that I am obviously more mechanical than Jacobs because I would have taken the hinges off the door (Yes, the pin is ON the inside).

I love his quote on page 166 about the biblical mandate of leaving gleanings. "It's a beautiful and compassionate rule. Plus, the commandment rewards people for doing a half-assed job, which I think is a nice notion." I would never have interpreted it like that and besides it was all about his trying to grow cucumbers, which I can totally relate to since my bell peppers have only yielded one.

Another interesting things is watching his prayer life evolve. I'm only 1/2 way through so I don't know how it will turn out, but it is awesome so far. I just finished with Lee Strobel's book "Inside the Mind of Unchurched Harry and Mary" last night. It would be interesting to know if Lee has read A.J.'s book and what he thought about it.

No comments: