Friday, September 21, 2007

Friday Five

1. Are you a hoarder or a minimalist?
I am a hoarder that goes through periodic sweeps that totally cleans things out. Unfortunately, they tend to collect right back. I bought a shredder which is making throwing papers out much easier but, darn it, you really don't know when you might need it.

Plus, I really have a lot of different activities in my life. I need the camping equipment and chainsaw for Emergency Mission trips; the books for well, everything; O crap, I can't make excuses - I have too much.

2. Name one important object ( could be an heirloom) that you will never part with.
A rocking chair that is 61 years old. It has been passed down from mother to daughter for three generations now. Its "birthday" is October 27th. Of course, I would probably try to grab my computer if the house was on fire (I have scanned all of the family photo's into it). Plus, it has my sermons, my school stuff (backed-up off site) but, still, it's MY COMPUTER.

3. What is the oldest item in your closet? Does it still fit???
I have a dress that is 10 years old. And no, it doesn't still fit but I'm really working on it. And before you say, "Get rid of it", Cheesehead is living proof that I can get that small again. (((So there)))

4.Yard sales- love 'em or hate 'em ?
I kind of like them but I don't believe in pricing every single little item. Too much work. I like sections or tables - Everything for $1. But when you walk away with money and a cleaner (or emptier) house. It's a great feeling.

5. Name a recycling habit you really want to get into.
Paper - I would like to recycle paper. In this part of the country, you don't recycle paper -- you burn it. And the plastic water bottles..... yeah.... the plastic water bottles. And, aluminum cans, those too.

And for a bonus- well anything you want to add....
In my family, recycling means giving your old stuff to a member of a younger generation. As recently happened with all of my daughter's furniture. It is anathema to throw away or sell furniture. Cousin Billy Bob's niece twice removed is getting married and has to furnish her house. I can honestly say that I have never bought a piece of silverware in my life. Of course, none really match (except for the fancy set I got for my wedding)

One a different subject: In honor of the October Book of the Month, I bought all the food from local vegetable stands and my daughter and I cooked and baked today after school. It was a total vegetarian meal. She wasn't to keen on the squash.

I finally received an email from the Dean of the D.Min. Program. We start at 8 a.m. Kind of weird, that none of the staff could answer that question, Isn't it??

3 comments:

jo(e) said...

I too am a pack rat who then gets annoyed with the clutter and does a binge cleaning.

Rev.Dulce said...

I loved your post over the "Bad Intro". Feel free to use any or all of my posts as examples of what not to do.

Unknown said...

Hope the 8am starting time goes okay. I know it is hard to figure out what to keep or trash. I love your story about your family.