Monday, September 17, 2007

Read This

http://www.umc.org/site/apps/nl/content3.asp?c=lwL4KnN1LtH&b=1723955&ct=4434793

There are some of us who aren't technically GenX/Y but still feel the pain of the PROCESS. The seminary's are not in sync with the Book of Discipline. You really will find it quite hard to be commissioned 1/2 way through your educational process because many of the classes are impossible to get until your final year (if not your final semester).

And because we don't fall into the 30 Something demographic, we are consistently put down in the all important quest for the YOUNG clergy. Our gifts aren't as important because we have 10 more years of life under our belt. I would say that in today's time that it is virtually impossible to be ordained before the age of 35. I have one friend who made it but he almost killed himself going through seminary in 2 1/2 years.

2 comments:

Brian Vinson said...

I think I'll be giving this article a more careful read shortly so I can comment on it.

But as one of the few 35 & under clergy in my conference, I'll say that for all the talk about us, there's been a very little action. It's mostly smoke and mirrors; they say they want "us" but they don't do anything to attract us or to make us feel welcome.

All they manage to do is to alienate us (in their inauthenticity) and all those who aren't 35 and under (in their very audible "quest" for "young clergy").

Rev.Dulce said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one feeling alienated. I find it ironic that 60+ people are talking about the need for younger clergy and no one even invites the young clergy we have to the table.

It seems like the church is getting involved in ageism, another one of the evil "ism's"!!